Thursday, November 27, 2008

US Government: Physical Activities Guidelines

Just in time for U.S. Thanksgiving, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have released exercise guidelines for the general public.

This is the first time the government has issued specific guidelines on how much exercise, intensities and types are appropriate for all ages and physical conditions.

Here are the guidelines for healthy adults, older adults and adults with disabilities:

At least 2.5 hours of weekly moderate-intensity aerobic activity, such as brisk walking, water aerobics, ballroom dancing or general gardening. You should be able to talk comfortably during exercise.

If time is an issue, fit in several 10-minute bouts of aerobic exercise a day.

For more health benefits, exercise 5 hours a week at a moderate pace.

More fit individuals can opt for 75 minutes of weekly vigorous exercise, such as jogging, race walking, swimming laps, jumping rope or hiking uphill; and increase training to 2.5 hours a week for greater health benefits.

At least 2 times each week incorporate strength-training exercises such as weight-training, push-ups, sit-ups, carrying heavy loads or heavy gardening.

Sedentary adults and those with medical pre-conditions and chronic conditions should consult their physicians before embarking on an exercise program.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My need for exercizing is huge, there are times when I sit at home feeling like I cant breath because I want to go out the door and run as fast and hard as I can. The truth is that latley when i'm done with the exercize i want to eat. My favorite is ice cream. I hate myself for that. I'm thankful I'm not fat, but Im also 48 and my matabolism will be slowing down fast soon if not already. i know I can push it. I'm just afraid to let myself down for this stupid weekness.